Located in Ocean Park, Washington, the Port of Peninsula is about 50 nautical miles (38 kilometers or 24 miles) north-northwest of the Port of Astoria. The Port of Peninsula is about 40 nautical miles (53 kilometers or 24 miles) south-southwest of Hoquiam Harbor. The Port of Peninsula is one of four Port District's in Washington State's Pacific County. The Port of Peninsula is located on Willapa Bay at the north end of the Long Beach Peninsula.
Ocean Park was a station on the Clamshell Railroad that traveled the Long Beach Peninsula from 1889 until 1930. The town began as a camp location for the Methodist Church. Home for the Port of Peninsula, Ocean Park was home to over 1500 people in the 2010 US Census.
Until Europeans came to the future Port of Peninsula area, it was populated by the Chinook people, the tribes discovered by the Lewis & Clark Expedition of 1805. The Chinook people were decimated by diseases that white settlers brought to the Port of Peninsula area.
The town of Ocean Park was at one time a station on the Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company's route on the Long Beach Peninsula. Pioneer L.A. Loomis created the Ilwaco Wharf Company in 1874 and, with partners, incorporated the Ilwaco Steam Navigation Company with steamboats running from the Port of Peninsula to Portland through the mid-1880s. Finding low profitability from the steamboat service, the partners formed the Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company in the late 1880s. The "Clamshell Railroad" operated until 1930 carrying freight and passengers between Long Beach Peninsula's Ilwaco and Nahcotta, including Ocean Park and the Port of Peninsula as stops along the way.
The oldest building in Ocean Park and the Port of Peninsula is the 1883 Lamberson Cabin which has been kept in the family for many generations.