Mamaroneck Harbor is a village in Westchester County on New York's Long Island Sound. The Village of Mamaroneck Harbor was incorporated in 1895 and consolidated with Rye Neck. Today's Mamaroneck Harbor is an enclave in New York City, and it is about 34 nautical miles (49 kilometers or 28 miles) northeast of the Port of New York. There is some light manufacturing in Mamaroneck Harbor. The 2010 US Census reported a population of almost 19 thousand people in Mamaroneck Harbor.
The Siwanoy tribe lived in what is today the North Bronx and Southern Westchester County. An Algonquian-speaking people, the Siwanoy were not organized. Their culture was similar to that of the Lenape (or Delaware). The Siwanoy lived in the future Mamaroneck Harbor area from the 15th Century through the 18th Century when conflict with invading Europeans forced them off their lands to join other tribes like the Mahicans (or Mohicans) in the Massachusetts Colony. The Siwanoy do not exist as a tribe today.
In 1643, the Siwanoy attacked Anne Hutchinson's settlement, killing six of her children and nine other people, during Kieft's War. Kieft's War resulted when the Governor of New Netherland (later New York) ordered a massacre of Siwanoy refugees. The massacre of Anne Hutchinson's settlement was revenge.
In 1661, Siwanoy Chief Wappaquewam and his brother, Manhatahan, sold the land that would become Mamaroneck Harbor to John Richbell from England. In 1698, he resold the land to New York City Mayor Caleb Heathcote who developed the area as a farming community.
In 1788, Mamaroneck Harbor was created by act of the New York Legislature. Mamaroneck Harbor was home to writer James Fenimore Cooper from 1811 until 1814. In the 1890s, Mamaroneck Harbor was divided into three parts including two incorporated villages (Larchmont and Mamaroneck) and an unincorporated area. The division was necessary so that the communities could provide much-needed municipal services.
In the late 19th Century, Mamaroneck Harbor thrived. As the commercial center of the community, Mamaroneck Harbor was busy with shipping, fishing, and manufacturing activities. After World War I, the unincorporated area had grown enough that it became part of Mamaroneck Harbor.
The Winged Foot Golf Club opened in 1923 in Mamaroneck Harbor. The club has hosted many professional tournaments, including the PGA Championship in 1997 and the U.S. Open (in 1929, 1959, 1974, 1984, and 2006).
In 2008, Mamaroneck Harbor used the first vegetable-oil powered garbage truck in the State of New York.