Known as "The Isthmus" to locals, Two Harbors is an unincorporated village on Santa Catalina Island, California. It is just 19.5 kilometers (12 miles) northwest of Avalon Harbor on Santa Catalina and 21 nautical miles southwest of the Port of Los Angeles. Second largest town on the island, Two Harbors is home to about 150 permanent residents.
Two Harbors has a restaurant, a hotel, a general store, and a one-room schoolhouse. Ferry lines with regularly scheduled daily service to Marina del Ray and San Pedro serve Two Harbors. Helicopter charters are another way to get to Two Harbors. Catalina's airport is 16 kilometers (10 miles) east of Two Harbors. When in the village, most people walk; however, motor vehicles and shuttles are also available. A bus from Two Harbors transports people anywhere on Santa Catalina Island.
Before Two Harbors existed, the area was called the Isthmus of Catalina Island. Mining for lead, zinc, and silver took place here in the 19860s.
During the American Civil War in 1864, the Union Army constructed barracks at the site, although it never followed through on its plans to establish a camp, and later an Indian reservation, at Two Harbors.
During the 1920s and 1930s, the barracks were used by film crews working on the island. During World War II, a contingent of the US Coast Guard occupied the barracks. In 1951, the barracks at Two Harbors were taken over by the Isthmus Yacht Club.