The Port of Crockett lies on the shores of California's Carquinez Strait where it meets the San Pablo Bay. Known originally as Crockettville, today's Port of Crockett is about 67 nautical miles downriver from the Port of Avon and some 34 kilometers (21 miles) northeast of San Francisco. Connected to Vallejo, California, by the Carquinez Bridge, the Port of Crockett was home to almost 3200 people at the time of the 2000 US Census.
View of the Sacramento River as it flows through Carquinez Straits to San Pablo Bay, and then on to San Francisco Bay.
Photo by Robert Campbell
The Port of Crockett lies on Rancho El Pinole, an old Mexican land grant made to Ygnacio Martinez, the fourth Alcalde of San Francisco in 1837. The Port of Crockett was named for Joseph B. Crockett who served as a judge on California's Supreme Court from 1867 to 1870.
The town was born when Thomas Edwards Senior purchased the land from Judge Crockett. Edwards constructed a home and made the Port of Crockett a company town serving the C&H Sugar Company. The post office opened in 1883.
The Port of Crockett is still home to C&H Sugar's corporate headquarters.
Review and History Port Commerce Cruising and Travel Satellite Map Contact Information