On the Pacific side of the Alaska Peninsula, the Port of King Cove is in the Aleutians East Borough some thousand kilometers (625 miles) southwest of Anchorage. The Port of King Cove is almost 180 nautical miles northeast of the Port of Dutch Harbor, the western-most port in Alaska. The Port of King Cove is also about one thousand kilometers south-southeast of Alaska's Port of Nome.
Called Agdaagux in the Aleut language, the Port of King Cove is home to about 800 people. It is also home to the largest processing facility for Peter Pan Seafoods. The Port of King Cove economy is based on commercial fishing and seafood processing, with harvests of King Crab, Pollock, cod, salmon, and halibut from both the Gulf of Alaska and the Bering Sea. Residents supplement their income with subsistence fishing and hunting.
The first settler reported in the future Port of King Cove was Robert King. He lived in the cove during the 1880s.
In 1911, the modern Port of King Cove was founded with the construction of a salmon cannery by Pacific American Fisheries. The first settlers to the Port of King Cove area were indigenous Unangans, Scandinavians, other Europeans, and Asians. Native people moved to the Port of King Cove from the villages of False Pass, Sanak, and Belkofski.
The Port of King Cove cannery operated from 1911 until 1976 when a fire caused much destruction. The facility was rebuilt and later acquired by Peter Pan Seafoods. The plant is the biggest salmon cannery in North America. It also processes herring, bottom fish, crab, and other fish throughout the year.
The Port of King Cove was incorporated in 1947. It is home to the federally-recognized Agdaagux Tribe of King Cove, and almost half of the Port of King Cove's inhabitants are all or part Alaska Native. There are several traditional hunting and trapping camps on the shores of Cold Bay that have been used since the early 20th Century for subsistence activities.
The Port of King Cove has a few gravel roads through the village. The Port of King Cove's airport road connects the town to the airport about seven kilometers (4.5 miles) north. Visitors arriving at the airport would be wise to arrange their own transportation to town.