The Port of Oslo is Norway’s center for shipping, trade, industry, and banking, and Oslo Harbor is the biggest and busiest in Norway. The hub of roads, railways, and airways in Norway, the Port of Oslo is located about 79 kilometers north-northwest of Gamle Fredrikstad and the Port of Borg on the northern end of the Oslo Fjord. The Port of Oslo is about 96 kilometers from the Gulf of Skagerrak off the North Sea and about 270 kilometers north-northwest of the coast of Denmark.
The Port of Oslo is a storehouse for maritime knowledge for Europe, with almost a thousand companies in the maritime sector, including some of the largest shipping companies in the world. The Port of Oslo’s major industries are involved in the making of consumer goods and in the graphic and electro-technical industries. It is also home to Norway’s leading cultural, educational, and scientific communities. In 2007, about 548 thousand people live din the municipality of Oslo.
Archaeological evidence (burials) suggests that Christians lived in the area before 1000 AD, suggesting an early settlement on the site of the Port of Oslo. Originally, the Port of Oslo was founded east of the Aker River by King Harald Hardraade in about 1050 AD. In about 1300, King Haakon V built the Akershus fortress. The first king to live permanently in the Port of Oslo was Haakon V, who ruled in the early 14th Century. From this time, the Port of Oslo was considered the capital of Norway.
The city was consumed by a fire in 1624, and Christian IV of Denmark-Norway decided to build a new town, Christiania, under the walls of the Akershus fortress a little farther west. At that time, the Port of Oslo was little more than an administrative center to the Dutch monarchs who lived in Copenhagen. Still, the Port of Oslo was a booming commercial and cultural center in Norway. The last round of the Black Death hit the Port of Oslo in 1654.
In 1811, the University of Oslo was founded. When Norway’s union with Denmark ended in 1814, the Port of Oslo once again was an official capital. During the 1800s, the town grew to absorb many nearby towns. By 1850, it had replaced the Port of Bergen as the biggest and most powerful city in Norway.
In 1925, Christiania was returned to its original name of Oslo. The Port of Oslo grew quickly after the Second World War, incorporating more and more towns.
While the population continues to grow in the Port of Oslo, the physical growth of the city has all but stopped due to resistance to development from residents. The city has been forced to grow upward. Although privately-owned, much of the forestland and lakes are protected from development, bringing the wilderness almost into the city.