The Port of Pohang is located in Kyŏngssang-puk Province in eastern South Korea. This busy port was a small fishing village before 1930 when the modern harbor when the modern harbor was constructed. Just 264 kilometers northeast of the Port of Kitakyushu in Japan, the sea offers plentiful fisheries, and the hinterlands provide agricultural products.
Today, the Port of Pohang is the hub of rail, road, and sea transportation routes. Before the 1970s when heavy industry made its way into the city, the Port of Pohang was home to traditional industries of brandy- and wine-making. Today, iron and steel producers and shipbuilders also support the local economy. In 1999, over 318 thousand people called the Port of Pohang home.
Archaeological evidence suggests that humans have lived in the area of the Port of Pohang for over three thousand years. Villages and megalithic burials have been found from the Mumum Pottery Period from 1500 to 300 BC.
In the year 723 in the reign of King Seongdeok, the Bulguksa Temple was built in the future Port of Pohang. In 1667, Wonjinguksa enlarged the temple. Today, this five-story stone pagoda is a National Treasure.
In 1931, the Township of Pohang was promoted to the status of a Town containing 17 townships. It was then promoted to city status in 1949. In 1999, the city of Pohang included one city, two wards, four towns, ten townships, and 25 wards.