The Port of Yokosuka is located on the Miura Peninsula on the southwestern shores at the mouth of Tokyo Bay on Japan’s main island, Honshu, and it stretches the width of the peninsula to Sagami Bay to the southwest. In Kanagawa Prefecture, the port is about 24 kilometers south-southeast of Yokohama and about 45 kilometers south of Tokyo.
The Port of Yokosuka was a simple fishing village until 1865 when a shipyard was constructed there. An important Japanese naval base from the last half of the 19th Century, the Port of Yokosuka was the US Navy was based there after World War II. Later, the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force was located there. The Port of Yokosuka is a residential suburb of the Tokyo-Yokohama urban area. In 2005, over 426 thousand people lived in the Port of Yokosuka.
In 1565, the first documented ship arrived in the Port of Yokosuka from China. However, Japanese isolation began soon thereafter and, in 1607, a merchant ship from the Philippines was the last to enter the port for almost 250 years when Commodore Matthew Perry landed at the Port of Yokosuka in 1853.
When an iron mill was established in Yokosuka in 1865, the construction of the modern Port of Yokosuka began. By 1884, the Japanese Navy was established in the Port of Yokosuka. In 1907, modern Yokosuka City was established. In 1915, the Port of Yokosuka celebrated its 50th anniversary.
In 1951, the Port of Yokosuka was designated an Important Port in Japan, and the port celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1965. In 1974, the Port of Yokosuka became sister port with the ports in Los Angeles and Long Beach, California.
The 1990s saw new development of port facilities, the completion of a new harborside road, and the beginning of a large industrial complex at the Port of Yokosuka.