The Port of Hamakanaya lies on the shores at the mouth of Tokyo Bay.
After the Port of Hamakanaya was approved for use as a port in 1955, a ferry began to move people and cargo between Hamakanaya and Kurihama on the opposite side of Tokyo Bay. The new service contributed greatly to the development of the area.
Today, the Port of Hamakanaya is busy with ferry operations and shipping of local sand and gravel.
In 1978, Chiba Prefecture became the port authority for the Port of Hamakanaya.