The Port of Rosyth is a naval base on the northern shores of the Firth of Forth in Fife County, Scotland, about 19 kilometers northwest of Edinburgh. In 1002, over twelve thousand people called the Port of Rosyth home.
In 1915, the Port of Rosyth was established as a garden city. In 1909, the former Royal Navy Dockyard Rosyth was built there, and the garden city was designed to house construction and dockyard workers. The dockyards cover about 500 hectares of reclaimed land.
The base was important as a ship-repair and dry-dock facility during both World Wars. It was expanded during World War II when over three thousand warships were refitted or repaired in the Port of Rosyth. Much of the German fleet scuttled at Gutter Sound was salvaged in the Port of Rosyth.
During the 1980s and 1990s, the Port of Rosyth was the only refitting base in the United Kingdom for nuclear submarines, but the dockyard lost that function in 1993. The naval base was closed in 1994.
In 1987, the Port of Rosyth’s dockyards became the first Royal Navy property to be privatized when Babcock International purchased the site. The last submarine refit was finished in 2003.
To date in the 21th Century, the Port of Rosyth’s dockyards serve to store decommissioned nuclear submarines before they are dismantled. An overnight ferry service links the Port of Rosyth with Zeebrugge, Belgium.
Today, Forth Ports, PLC owns and operates the Port of Rosyth and four other ports on the Firth of Forth. Just 22 kilometers north-northwest of Edinburgh across the Firth of Fourth and 64 kilometers from Glasgow, the Port of Rosyth offers promise for business importing raw materials and exporting finished goods.