The Port of Nyborg is a city on the island of Funen in central Denmark. In 2005, Nyborg Harbor was expanded to include 14 big luxury apartment buildings. In 2008, over 31 thousand people lived in the urban area.
The Port of Nyborg was named after the castle (in Danish “borg”) that was built there in 1170 to protect the Great Belt straight. The Port of Nyborg was chartered in 1292 and was a favorite place for the Danish nobles and clergy to meet until the early 15th Century. Denmark’s first constitution, the Great Charter, was released there in 1412. King Christian II was born in the castle in 1481, and the castle was restored as a museum in 1923.
In the 17th Century, the Port of Nyborg was one of Denmark’s three major fortified towns (with Fredericia and Copenhagen). In 1659, the army from Sweden captured the Port of Nyborg and then surrendered to Dutch admiral De Ruyter.
The fortress was abandoned in 1867 when the town grew beyond its ramparts and residential areas grew up around the old town. Some of the ramparts still exist today.
Until the opening of the tunnel and bridges crossing the Great Belt in the late 1990s, the Port of Nyborg was important for its ferry services to Zealand. Today, most traffic passes the Port of Nyborg to the north. In 2005, over 31 thousand people lived in the Nyborg municipal area.