The Port of Brunsbuttel is located at the mouth of the Elbe River near the North Sea. It is an entrance to the Kiel Canal in the state of Schleswig-Holstein in northern Germany. In 2005, almost 14 thousand people called Brunsbuttel home.
Until the Kiel Canal connected the North and Baltic Seas in 1895, the Port of Brunsbuttel was a sleepy village. In 1948, it was given town rights. Modern Brunsbuttel is an urban and industrial center on the Wadden Sea coast containing petroleum and chemical industries and a nuclear power plant. Today, other cities and towns in the region are getting more attention, and projections point to decreasing population in the future.
The Port of Brunsbuttel consists of an inner harber that is 656 feet wide and 1640 feet long, a small harbor for tugs, and a coaling station. The Port of Brunsbuttel offers deep-water tidal berths at the intersection of the Kiel Canal and the Elbe River. Located in a well-developed industrial area, the port handles a variety of cargoes including oil and gas, chemicals, containers, dry cargo, and dangerous goods like explosives. It supports the city and Port of Hamburg.
The Port of Brunsbuttel has over a thousand meters of quay with alongside depth from 13.8 to 14.8 meters. The Port contains 27.9 thousand square meters of warehouse space and 233.9 thousand square meters of outdoor storage. It contains 900 meters of railway and has ready access to roadways. The Port of Brunsbuttel ’s oil port is located near the Brunsbuttel canal locks, and the oil jetties are operated by the Schell Deutschland GmbH.
The terminal at the Port of Brunsbuttel is important to the ports tri-modal container services. The terminal has capacity for storing two thousand TEUs of containerized cargo and 500 TEUs of containerized dangerous goods.