The Port of Lianyungang lies near the mouth of the Qiangwei River in northern Jiangsu Province in eastern China about 620 kilometers southeast of Beijing and 386 kilometers southwest of China's Port of Yantai. It is also located at the northern end of a canal network on the Yunyan River that is linked to countless salt pans located in the coastal districts of the province. In 2007, about 806 thousand people lived in the Port of Lianyungang urban area.
At the eastern end of the New Eurasia Continental Landbridge, the Port of Lianyungang is one of China's first fourteen cities opened to foreign visitors and investments. The Port of Lianyungang is a growing center for industry, trade, and tourism.
Founded as Haizhou in 549 AD, the Port of Lianyungang was a center for salt production. Subordinate to Huai'an under the Ming Dynasty from 1368 to 1644, the Port of Lianyungang became independent in 1726.
The Port of Liangyungang was opened to foreign trade in 1905 when it added the collection of agricultural produce to salt to be shipped through Tsingtao to Shanghai. The Port of Lianyungang became a county seat in 1911 when the Republic of China was founded.
Modern expansion started when the Lung-hai Railway was constructed. When the railroad was extended to the coast in 1933, the Port of Lianyungang was constructed by a Dutch company. Although the port was linked with far-away cities in Shensi and was the center of a canal network, growth was slow.
Significant growth of the Port of Lianyungang did not begin until the Japanese occupation of 1938. The Chinese had destroyed much of the port, but the Japanese dredged and rebuilt to transport exports of coal, iron ore, phosphates, salt, and grain.
In 1949, several river ports were merged and named Lianyungang. Facilities have been improved, and the Port of Lianyungang has continued to grow as a fishing port and center for the salt industry. China designated it as one of the "open" cities in its policy to encourage foreign investment.