The Port of Enns (or Ennshafen) lies on the Enns River where it joins the Danube about 18 kilometers southeast of Linz, Austria. Enns' economy, which is important to the region, rests on glassware and jewelry manufacturing, roofing, and local breweries. In 2006, almost 11 thousand people called Enns home.
Human settlement in the area goes back four thousand years. Celts settled here in about 400 BC. In 45 AD, the Roman Empire absorbed the Celtic kingdom, Noricum, and designated it a Roman province.
Nearby suburb of the Port of Enns is Lorch, the site of the old Roman camp called Lauriacum. As many as 6000 Roman soldiers were stationed there. By the time Rome granted it city privileges in 212, the population of Lauriacum was about 30 thousand. A Christian basilica was build on the remains of a Roman temple in about 370 AD, and the modern basilica of Lorch rose up on its foundations in 1344.
Ennesburg castle was build near the Port of Enns' modern city center in 900 AD to protect the area from invasions from Hungary. Over time, the castle became the chateau of Ennsegg, and the surrounding village thrived from the 1100s when a market was created.
Granted city privileges in 1212 by Duke Leopold VI, the Port of Enns is Austria's oldest municipality. Its 60-meter tall City Tower, built in the mid-1500s as a watch- and clocktower, is still the city's most impressive landmark.