Port Botany is located on Botany Bay, an inlet of the Tasman Sea, in New South Wales, Australia. Today, the shores of Botany Bay are covered with the suburbs of Sydney. Port Botany was dredged to make way for ships, and it is used much by container ships. Located 12 kilometers southeast of Sydney’s central business district, it is in the jurisdiction of the City of Randwick.
Please refer to the Port of Sydney description for information on the history and tourism in the area.
Captain James Cook first landed in Australia at Botany Bay in 1770, naming it for the wide variety of new plants he found there. His botanists spent several days ashore collecting specimens of plants that were unknown in Europe. Port Botany derives its name from the Bay.