The Port of Quequen is located on the northeastern shores of Argentina’s Atlantic coast, about 368 kilometers southeast of Buenos Aires. It is a major grain port for the country. On the banks of the Quequen Grande river, the city’s name derives from the indigenous peoples’ word “Kem Ken” for high cliffs. On the opposite banks of the river is the city of Necochea. In 2001, over 14 thousand people called the Port of Quequen home.
Europeans first walked lands under the Port of Quequen in 1582 when a small group of soldiers led by Juan de Garay explored the area south of the Salado River. Garay noted the fertile land and plentiful livestock he found there. English missionary Thomas Falkner first recognized the need for a port here in 1748, but the city was not founded until 1854.
The urban area encompassing both the Port of Quequen and Necochea contains a population of 85 thousand on either side of the river. Necochea is a popular tourist resort. The surrounding area is rich farming land, so the city has many plants producing vegetable oils and seed by-products. Being a port, fish processing plants are also plentiful. The area is served well by roads, the Ferrosur Roca railroad, and a small domestic airport.
The Port of Quequen’s economy is dependent on the seaport, which is a major exporter of cereals, logs, forest by-products, and fish. Its food industry employs more than 2, 000 workers who collect and prepare grain and oilseeds.