The Port of Palermo is one of the most ancient centers in Italy and much of the Mediterranean region. The province of Palermo is home to about 1.3 million people. The Port of Palermo contains about 200 kilometers of coastline and many beautiful beaches. With a long history of many different dominating cultures, the Port of Palermo contains many and varied architectural monuments that include Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque styles as well as the ultra-modern. German writer Goethe wrote about the Port of Palermo in 1787, calling the Port of Palermo “the most beautiful place on earth” because of its abundant vegetation and botanical gardens. Visitors to the Port of Palermo will not want to miss the Port of Palermo’s most impressive sights.
The Palermo Archaeological Museum, located in the 18th Century Convent of the Oratorians, features collections documenting the island’s ancient history and archaeological treasures. These include two statues of Zeus dating to the 2nd Century BC and many other sculptures representing Greek and Roman gods and heroes.
The Port of Palermo’s 12th Century Palazzo dei Normanni in the Piazza Indipendenza is one of the Port of Palermo’s most popular tourist attractions. Covered in breathtaking Byzantine mosaics, it illustrates the cultural and political power of the Norman period.
In the Palazzo Reale-Monte di Pieta neighborhood, the Porta Carini represents the typical Arabian market. Noted in several 13th Century documents, it has long been a food and fish market still known for its high-quality fish. The market retains the look and feel of the Port of Palermo’s ancient marketplace.
The Catacombe dei Cappuccini, west of the city center, contain more than eight thousand mummified residents of the Port of Palermo area. This amazing destination can be interesting or terrifying, depending on the age and temperament of the visitor.
The Port of Palermo’s Castello della Zisa is a museum of Islamic Art containing important Islamic artifacts from the Mediterranean basin. Displays include masrabiyya, delicately carved wooden screens, and many common engraved copper tools and articles with gold and silver inlays and embellishments.
Built in the late 15th Century, the Palazzo Abatellis preserves the Gothic-Catalan style with some Renaissance elements. The ground floor contains sculptures from the 12th to 16th Centuries and many wonderful pieces of artwork. Intricate wood carvings within the building date to the 12th Century.
The Port of Palermo’s 1897 Teatro Massimo is one of Europe’s biggest theaters. This 7730 square meters masterpiece has recently been restored, and it is home to the Port of Palermo’s opera and ballet.
Travelers who want to visit the Port of Palermo and the island of Sicily can find a comprehensive list of scheduled cruises at the Cruise Compete website.