The City of Vukovar (Croatian) still bears terrible scars of war. Visitors to the Port of Vukovar are warned that there are still active land mines in the woods around the cemetery, and visitors should avoid walking in the woods. Despite this sad past, there are some sights in the Port of Vukovar that visitors will not want to miss. Some of these are described here, but you can find more information about places to see and things to do on the Port of Vukovar’s tourism website.
The Eltz Castle was begun in 1749 by Count Anselmo Kasimir Eltz. Over the following years, new wings and additions appeared. The castle only took on its current shape by the beginning of the 20th Century. This large luxurious castle contains beautiful stylish detail. It is considered by many to be one of Croatia’s most beautiful Baroque structures. Since 1968, it has contained the Port of Vukovar Town Museum. Although it was seriously damaged in 1991, part of the interior has been restored, and reconstruction continues thanks to joint investments by the Council of Europe and Croatian Ministry of Culture.
The Port of Vukovar’s Vucedol is an archaeological site on the banks of the Danube about five kilometers from Vukovar. A significant Eneolithic period site, it revealed artifacts that create a complete profile of 700 years of the Vucedol culture during the transition from the Copper Age to the Bronze Age from 3000 to 2200 BC. Within the site are remains of an older Neolithic culture called the Starcevac. Artifacts include ceramics of outstanding technical and aesthetic quality that suggest high civilization. The civilization produced the Vucedol Orion, the oldest calendar in Europe.
The Franciscans influenced Vukovar culture greatly since the Medieval period when there were seven monasteries in the area, particularly in the era of Turkish occupation. The main parts of the Franciscan complex were completed in the early 18th Century, but construction continued throughout the 1700s. The Franciscan Monastery and the Church of St. Philip and Jacob was completed near the end of the 19th Century. The Franciscans educated the entire province through the school they established in 1733. They collected much valuable art and an impressive library of about 17 thousand volumes. Sadly, the church was demolished in 1991, and the Franciscans were expelled from the area. After the war, it was rebuilt, and it is today a registered cultural monument.
Visitors can visit the Port of Vukovar hospital that was the site of the terrible massacre of 1991. The above-ground areas of the hospital have been restored to function normally; however, the basement area is now a museum commemorating the siege and massacre. Visitors may see Dr. Vesna Bosanac there, who was the hospital director during the Battle and who saved many lives.
Travelers who want to visit the Port of Vukovar can find a list of scheduled cruises by searching for “Vukovar” on the Cruise Compete website.