Unlike many other German cities, the City of Wismar’s (German) medieval city center was not destroyed by Allied bombs during World War II. The center of old town is a large Market, the largest in Germany, ringed by buildings dating from the 14th to 19th Centuries.
At the center of the square is the Wasserkunst, a 1602 wrought iron fountain imported from Holland. One of the buildings on the square is the Alter Schwede, or Old Swede, a Gothic warehouse constructed in the late 14th Century. The Old Town was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2002.
The Church of St. Nicholas was built in the late 14th and early 15th Centuries. Featuring lofty vaulting, it is one of the best examples of period architecture in northern Germany.
The Furstenhof, once a royal residence, was home to municipal offices for many years. Built in the mid-16th Century, it is a wonderful example of the early Italian Renaissance style of architecture.
Restored in the late 1870s, the “Old School” is a museum today, but it dates from the early 14th Century.