The port authority for the Port of Krotz Springs is the Greater Krotz Springs Port Commission. The Commission was created by the Louisiana Legislature in 1956 with the charge of building and operating port facilities and of regulating industry and commerce on the Atchafalaya River. An 11-member board of Commissioners represents the parish; the cities of Krotz Springs, Eunice, and Opelousas; and the St. Landry Parish Municipal Association.
The Port of Krotz Springs is located on the Atchafalaya River about 122 kilometers (76 miles) above its intersection with the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. The US Army Corps of Engineers maintains the river at a depth of 3.7 meters (12 feet). At the Port of Krotz Springs, the channel is about 305 meters (1000 feet) wide.
The Port of Krotz Springs is very near Louisiana Highway 105 and one mile south of US Highway 190. The Union Pacific Railroad service is tow miles from the Port of Krotz Springs. The Port of Krotz Springs covers 134 acres of riverfront. Half of this property is currently occupied, and the port has recently purchased an additional 200 acres of riverfront. The site has electricity, water, and gas on site.
The primary cargoes handled at the Port of Krotz Springs include inbound crude oil and outbound refined petroleum products and aggregate. The Port of Krotz Springs handled about three million tons of cargo in 2009.
Six docks operate at the Port of Krotz Springs. A new 44-meter (145-foot) wide general cargo dock extends 67 meters (220 feet) into the Atchafalaya.