The port authority for the Port of Surabaya is PT (Persero) Pelabuhan Indonesia III. In 1999, they created a container terminal corporation, forming PT Terminal Petikemas Surabaya (TPS). Also in 1999, P&O Ports purchased a 49% share of the company. In 2006, DP Ports (an international marine terminal operator with 48 terminals and 13 new developments across 31 countries) purchased P&O Ports. TPS has worked to improve both productivity and efficiency at the Port of Surabaya since 1999, adding state-of-the-art equipment and information technology systems and adding new property to ensure comprehensive services.
In 1992, the Port of Surabaya’s container terminal opened for businesses with 500 meters of quay and capacity for handling 800 thousand TEUs of containerized cargo per year. In 1997, 500 meters were added to the existing quay. In 1999, another 500 meters of international quayline and 450 meters of domestic qualine were added. In 2002, new cranes, gantries, and tractor trailer units came online. In 2003, the terminal completed new container yards and an import truck parking area.
Within the Port of Surabaya are the International Wharf (1000 meters long with alongside depth of 10.5 meters) and the Domestic Wharf (450 meters long with alongside depth of 7.5 meters). The International Container Yard covers 29 hectares and has capacity for 30 thousand TEUs and 250 reefer pugs. The Domestic Container Yard covers 9 hectares and has capacity for nine thousand TEUs of containerized cargo. The Container Freight Station includes a 10 thousand square meter stacking area and 6.5 thousand square meters for dangerous goods. The terminal also has two rail tracks of 420 meters.
In 2007, the Port of Surabaya 1497 vessels called on the Port of Surabaya carrying 1.2 million TEUs of containerized cargo.