The Port of Belem (Portuguese) was first built to accommodate Brazil’s growing rubber market. The old existing port was inefficient and out-dated for the booming rubber industry. In 1906, a Sao Paulo-based company received authorization to build a wharf in Belem. By 1909, they had replaced the old facilities with a new wharf and warehouse. By 1913, the Port of Belem contained an additional thousand meters of wharf and 15 new warehouses.
The Companhia Docas de Para manages Port of Belem facilities. The eastern canal of the Port of Belem is six thousand meters long with a depth of from six to nine meters. The main wharf is 300 meters long.
In 1915, the Port of Belem handled over 300 thousand tons of cargo, 60% of which was imports. The major export was rubber. By the 1970s, the Port’s major markets were Europe, the United States, and Japan. Today, the cargo passing through the Port of Belem is dominated by wood, wheat, chestnuts, pepper, and metallic silicon. The modern Port of Belem handles over a million tons of cargo a year.
Warehouses 4 through 8 handle general cargo and containers. Warehouses 9 and 10 are dedicated to inland navigation for general cargo and temporary storage. Warehouses 11 and 12 and several silos handle containers and grains.